Monday, July 28, 2008

It's Official...



So, Cory and I have been playing on our church softball team all summer long. While Cory is quite the baseball/softball player, I myself have never played. I must say I was nervous but it is a blast!! Of course I play right field, where almost no one hits and I can't make too many mistakes, but I had two goals. The first was to catch a pop fly which I did earlier in the season. It was super exciting. My second goal was to hit the ball over the outfielders head. Now initally this must sound insane because while I am not a wussy girl, I am a girl no the less, and have never played softball until this summer. It is important to know that all outfielders scoot up to the orange spray painted line when a girl hits. That means they stand pretty shallow about 10 feet behind the infield. So in our first playoff game I am thinking that if I don't do it this game, I might have to wait until next summer because it is a single elimination tournament now. The first at bat, I only advance the runner and get thrown out at first. BUMMER!!

Then, my second at bat happens. I swing hard the first time and totally miss. Super embarassed and thinking I pretty much suck. Second pitch was a major ball and the the third pitch came. I swung the sound off the bat was incredible and my hands didn't tingle from hitting the ball wrong. The ball easily cleared the left fielder and rolled all the way to the fence. I was celebrating all the way to first base because my 2nd goal was accomplished! What I forgot about was running the bases as fast as possible. I did get to third where my third base coach told me to keep running. I was floored. I couldn't believe he was sending me home, but I made it!! I hit an in field home run!! Plus two people were on base when I did it! I couldn't stop running. I jumped on Cory and he just caught me. My team jumped up and down and it was awesome!! I still am giddy about it. My coach and friend Matt King then gave me the game ball. Yes, the picture is the ball I hit over the outfielders and received 3 RBIs for and an infield homerun. I was and still am THRILLED!!

We have a game tonight too, so hopefully the magic can happen again!

2 comments:

Erin and Tim Zickrick said...

I am SO proud of you!!! 3 RBIs in one at bat. :) Beautiful!
PS-I totally witnessed you catching your pop fly! :) I miss you!!

mdlycan said...

Congrats!!! :-) This church league is hard... do I cheer for my church group or two friends who I've known for 4 years??? Such a dilemma! If GFCC and Valley go head to head, I'm gonna be in some trouble!