Friday, June 26, 2009

Psalm...

First of all, is it Psalm or Psalms?

Moving on; I was reading Psalm 10 today and felt convicted by the writer's behavior. At the beginning, the psalmist says, "Why, O Lord, do you stand far off? Why do you hid yourself in times of trouble?" To me this clearly is a person feeling distant from God and somewhat irritated that he can't seem to find Him when he feels he most needs Him. The psalmist continues for the next 9 verses somewhat complaining about why the wicked seem to prosper. The psalmist quickly transitions to asking God to arise and lift up His hand, and then to praise him and King for ever and ever and many things He does. Why the sudden change from verse 1 of God being distant to praising God and rmembering His acts in verses 12-18?

My answer may be simple, but words repeated can often change your heart and how you feel. The psalmist was remembering what and who God is now making Him maybe not so distant. Praising God in turmoil and distance from Him, often brings your heart back to knowing the promises of God and how He hasn't truly abandoned you at all. I always try to convince myself that I will change the way I think about this or that, but never do I actually give words to such a revelation. Confessing truth could in fact be the way to change my attitude toward a situation instead of the other way around. Words are convincing and life changing; maybe changing attitudes start with confessing the new attitude I want enough times and reading it enough times for my heart to be convinced instead of mentally convincing myself to change and never saying anything.

Sorry about this rant but felt convicted about confessing with my mouth challenges God is working me through. Blogging was the best way I could confess with "mouth" (fingers on a keyboard) while at my work computer on lunch. Later I can tell more people!

Remember who God is and what He has done for you especially in the depths. He will never leave you nor forsake and knowing that in your head and believing it in your heart are truly two different things. God Bless and confess!

4 comments:

Katie Glathar said...

Thanks for sharing!

mdlycan said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and meditation! Moving has definitely taught me to remember all God has done in the past and that gives me strength to trust Him for the present.

The misuse of "Psalms" or "Psalm" gets on my nerves! My dad says that it's Psalms when referring to multiple chapters... Psalms 120-134. But, it's singular when referring to one book or verses... Psalm 10 or Psalm 9:9-10. That's our opinion! :-)

mdlycan said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and meditation! Moving has definitely taught me to remember all God has done in the past and that gives me strength to trust Him for the present.

The misuse of "Psalms" or "Psalm" gets on my nerves! My dad says that it's Psalms when referring to multiple chapters... Psalms 120-134. But, it's singular when referring to one book or verses... Psalm 10 or Psalm 9:9-10. That's our opinion! :-)

Karen said...

I figured either Melissa or Tom would answer the "Psalms or Psalm" question!